Monday, May 31, 2010

iPad Review

So I've had the iPad for a few days and I think I get it and I also have experienced its limitations.

First the iPad does nothing that a laptop can't do but it's the form factor that makes it work. The touch screen interface is just natural and intuitive, so for things that are already set up like apps it's quicker to just touch the app to go to it than use a mouse and keyboard, browsing web sites works well with the touch interface. If you've used an iPhone you probably already know this.

It's small enough to take on holiday or for work trips for email. You could watch a movie in a cramped airline seats I imagine where a laptop is often just too big with it's keyboard and screen. The form factor means you can have a coffee while browsing the news or website with one free hand, not easily achievable with a laptop.

The weight of this device though is too heavy to hold unassisted, ebook readers are better suited to holding as a book and for an insomnia inflicted person like myself the bright screen is a no no before going to bed. Some more comments about this issue here - http://www.ipadlearninglab.com/2010/05/ipad-as-sleep-disrupter.html

It's quick, if I want to quickly look something up on the web I have it had my fingertips in seconds, my trusty laptop with a solid state hard disk still take 10-30 seconds before I can start typing.

You cannot touch type on an iPad, I tried but failed with quickly strained wrists. The problem is you cannot rest your fingers on the keyboard so your hands have to hover a few millimetres above the screen which leads to fatigue very quickly. If I were to go on a business trip with this I would absolutely take a keyboard.

I did type this on the iPad, with two fingers, but actually in the end emailed the posting to my laptop because it was just easier to type on, spell check and post.

The educational affordances of this device are plain to see, the ability to carry many books with full interactivity is a great educational bonus and unlike ebooks on other cheaper devices ebooks on the iPad are in full colour and can include full multimedia. There are apps coming out for our ePortfolio system and our LMS, of course students could use a cheap netbook for these purposes. Without testing I'm guessing that the graphic capabilities of this device probably exceed those of a cheap netbook.

It's a great device to share and display media. I left it on the coffee table at a party we had and people picked it up to look at photos and handed it around, finally all my digital pics can be shared in a natural way rather than handing a laptop around or standing in front of a desktop computer. The intuitive interface means even my parents could browse the photos.

So I think in summary the iPad is an excellent media consumption device, the apps are great and surfing the web and replying to short emails on the run is easy but without a keyboard you can't do too much typing without fatigue. I guess if you normally only type with two fingers then perhaps you won't notice this?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting review and fairly much correct... you didn't mention the extreme battery life that far surpasses any laptop/netbook! Also just about any bluetooth keyboard will work giving you quicker tactile data entry..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review. We'll have to talk about it when you're back at work. We discussed the issue of ebook readers and ipads this morning in the face of an aggressive sales drive being targetted at the Uni. Wish you'd been there - the argument advanced against their use had some holes in it, in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I did consider the battery life but over the last year or so there have been a lot of laptop and Netbooks with very good battery life, i.e. 6~8 hours or more. The iPad does indeed last the 10 hours it's rated at which is amazing and is also why it's so heavy, two thirds of the space inside the case is battery.
    I'm not sure if these other devices actually last their rated battery life span.

    You are right though, a wireless keyboard would make it suitable for large text inputs.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. M-H, well that's why I got one. You can't argue for or against it if you have no experience with it. Whether the powers that be like it or not students and staff will get these things so we need to evaluate and support their appropriate use, be it the iPad or variation of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting and balanced review. Thanks Colin! I'd be interested in any views you have on the potential for the ipad as an accessible device for disabled students - perhaps I should get one and do my own evaluations!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete